Last updated 2/16/21
We may obtain information about you in a number of ways, including through (A) information you provide to us directly; (B) information we automatically collect; and (C) information we receive from third parties. This information may identify you directly (e.g., your name) or indirectly (e.g., information about your online use).
- Information You Provide
We collect information from you when you choose to share it with us, such as when you request information about Magellan, register or create an account with or through the Websites, or otherwise communicate with or contact us (such as through any available Website chat function). In the course of these interactions, you may provide us with personal and demographic information (including, but not limited to, your name, address, email address, phone number, date of birth, gender, and ethnicity) or detailed medical information (including, but not limited to, health insurance information and assessment scores).
- Information Automatically Collected
We, as well as service providers, may use a variety of technologies, such as cookies and log files, to automatically or passively collect certain information about your online activity on the Websites. This information is used, for example, to understand who is using the Websites and how (e.g., by measuring the number and frequency of visitors to the different sections of our Websites) and to help us make our Websites more useful to our visitors and users.
Cookies, Tracking Options, and Do Not Track Disclosures
- Cookies: Cookies are a collection of information sent by a website to a user’s computer, and then sent back each time the user accesses that website. Most web browsers enable you to control whether or not you want to receive cookies or notify you when a website is about to deposit a cookie file. Please refer to your device’s settings or your browser “Help” section for more information on how to delete and/or disable your browser from receiving cookies. However, blocking or deleting cookies may create a less-than-optimal user experience on the Websites.
- Log Files: Log files are pieces of information that let us know how users are accessing the Websites. For example, each time you visit a Magellan website, we may create a log file that tells us that someone visited the page. We use log files to create aggregate reports of Website activity, which means we take that information and add it together to report on all Website activity.
- Do Not Track: Our system may not recognize Do Not Track requests or headers from some or all browsers.
Magellan may use the information we collect from and about you for a number of purposes. Some examples of the ways we may use that information include:
- Providing you with the experience, products, information, and services you request, view, and engage with.
- Customizing your experience on the Websites, including managing and recording your preferences.
- Marketing, product development, and research purposes.
- Reviewing and developing reports regarding usage, activity, and statistics, including to conduct analysis to enhance or improve our content, products, and services.
- Providing you with access to particular tools and services and enabling certain functions and tools on the Websites.
- Administration of your account.
- Responding to your inquiries and requests and sending you administrative and other communications.
- For other purposes disclosed at the time you provide your information or otherwise with your consent.
We may combine the information we receive from and about you, including information you provide to us (on the Websites and offline), information we automatically collect through the Websites, and information we receive from third parties, as well as link to information collected across other computers or devices that you may use.
Magellan collects information via the Websites, but never provides it for sale or lease to any third party. We may disclose your information as follows:
- Legal Matters: We may access and disclose your information to respond to subpoenas, judicial processes, or government requests and investigations, or in connection with an investigation on matters related to public safety, as permitted by law, or otherwise as required by law. We may disclose your information to protect the security of our Websites, servers, network systems, and databases. We also may disclose your information as necessary if we believe that there has been a violation of our Terms and Conditions, any other legal document or contract related to our Websites, or the rights of any third party.
- Safety: We may access and disclose your information to protect any individual’s personal safety, health, or welfare, including, without limitation, if you threaten to harm yourself or others, we have reason to believe that abuse or neglect might be occurring, or otherwise in the event of a medical emergency. In such instances, we will notify the appropriate authorities, which may include law enforcement, medical or other emergency personnel, or a potential victim.
- Payer/Healthcare Organization: To your payer/healthcare organization or others responsible for the payment of healthcare or other services to you.
- Affiliates and Service Providers: We share your information with our affiliates, business partners, vendors, suppliers, agents and other service providers that provide business, professional, or technical support functions for us, help us operate our business and the Websites, or administer activities on our behalf. We request that such third parties maintain the confidentiality of your information.
- Healthcare Providers and Organizations: We may share your information with your healthcare providers and other healthcare organizations or professionals in connection with the provision of care to you, including:
- To a provider/healthcare organization or healthcare professional who has referred you to the Websites ancillary to your treatment, or to whom you are referred.
- To an organization providing you access to the Websites, if applicable, as part of a health, wellness, or insurance program.
In this case, the use of your personal information by any such third party shall also be subject to the terms of the privacy statement issued by that third party.
- Aggregate or Anonymous Information: We may also share aggregate or anonymous information with our business partners and other third parties including without limitation for research, audit, treatment, marketing, or program evaluation.
- De-Identified Information: We may also share de-identified information, which is not linked to any information that can identify any individual person, without restriction.
- Other: We also may share your information as disclosed to you at the time of collection, or otherwise with your consent.
YOUR ACCOUNT AND EMAILS
Please note that individualized information transmitted via email correspondence between you and Magellan — as opposed to transmission over the Websites — is not encrypted. As a result, like most, if not all, non-encrypted Internet email communications, such email correspondence may be accessed and viewed by other Internet users without your knowledge and permission while in transit. For that reason, to protect your privacy, if you have concerns about treatment, or questions that would involve the communication of confidential/personal health information, please call your physician, or other healthcare professional.
Website accounts may require that you create a user ID and/or password. It is very important that you do not share your user ID and/or password with anyone, and also that you give thought to any person(s) who may have access to your account. You are responsible for all activity that occurs under your account.
A range of security features protect the privacy of information provided over a secure sign-in to the Magellan Websites, including 128-bit or greater cryptographic security and other security safeguards. Magellan also uses physical, technical, and administrative safeguards to protect the information collected from and about Website users. Only authorized employees and third parties have access to that information and only to provide service to you. While we make every effort to help ensure the integrity and security of our network and systems, we cannot guarantee our security measures.
The Websites may have links to other websites and applications that we think might be useful or of interest to you. We are not responsible for, and do not endorse the privacy practices or the content of, those linked websites and applications. We urge you to review the privacy policies of any websites and applications you visit once you leave the Websites.
HIPAA is the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. HIPAA imposes guidelines that ensure the privacy and confidentiality of your Personal Health Information (PHI), such as your name or medical information. These guidelines require that your PHI be used for the purposes of treatment, payment, and health plan operations, and not for purposes unrelated to healthcare.
Magellan and its third-party service providers may offer services that are primarily targeted to children. As a result, we may collect information from children. Below we summarize when we may collect personal information from children, and how and when we will provide parental notice and/or seek parental consent.
At the direction of a healthcare professional, children can access one of our websites or download and use one of our mobile applications. We will ask for a parent or guardian consent during the enrollment process. In the consent, we will explain what information we are collecting, how we plan to use it, and how the parent or guardian can provide consent.
We will share and disclose personal information collected from children in limited circumstances only: (1) with our service providers, if necessary for them to perform a business, professional, or technology support function for us; (2) if required or permitted by law, such as in response to a court order or subpoena, or to protect our rights and the rights of others; and (3) as otherwise permitted by the parent or guardian, such as to the healthcare provider or other individual designated by the parent, guardian, or child (with parent’s/guardian’s approval).
If we collect personal information from a child, we will retain that information so long as reasonably necessary to fulfill the activity request or allow the child to continue to participate in the activity, to ensure the security of our users and our services, as allowed or required by law or contract, or for data retention or recovery purposes.
Parental Choices and Controls
At any time, a parent or guardian may stop their child’s use of the Websites, and upon the child’s nonuse of the Websites no further collection or use of her child’s personal information will occur.
Parents or guardians can contact us to request access to or to change their child’s personal information. Please include the child’s username and the parent’s or guardian’s email address and telephone number. To protect children’s privacy and security, we will take reasonable steps to help verify a parent’s or guardian’s identity before granting access to any personal information.
Parents and guardians are responsible for providing supervision of their minor children’s use of the Websites. Parents and guardians assume full responsibility for ensuring that all information supplied by or on behalf of their minor children is kept secure and is and remains accurate.